Grand Banks Discussion Forum Forum Index Grand Banks Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exhaust system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Grand Banks Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Repair Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: exhaust system Reply with quote

Hello from a new owner of a old 42MY: year 1981. Someone can tell me of which kind of material is the first parts (on the engine) of the exaust system of the twin CAT 3208T installed?
I have fear they can be of asbestos. It seem a gray woven with about 15-18" of diameter.
I beg your pardon for my english.
Ciao dall' Italia
BernardandDee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laus,

Only a laboratory can be certain about asbestos. What you have is probably fiberglass cloth (no resin). Very little chance it is asbestos. But the only way to know is to send a sample to the right kind of laboratory.
Mike Negley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact DeAngelo Marine Exhaust in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (www.deangelomarine.com) who make exhaust insulation blankets for marine engines. They do excellent work at a resonable cost.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought new risers from Deangelo and they are beautiful. We did have to send them back at their expense as they put the connection for the water in the wrong place. We also changed the design so that there is no need to use the insulation by injecting the water much higher up into the riser.

I will also comment I changed the inline muffler to the new version from Centeck and although not measured they claimed we would get a 8 to 10 db reduction at it certainly seems to be true. Since I do 100% of the driving on the flybridge my main concern was exhuast noise and the reduction is incredible!

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 11-19-02).]
Laus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all.
I'll check in a laboratory and i'll give the result. asap.
Thanks to Michel: it will be the next step.
Bob Olsen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the exhaust system on my GB46 with 3208T engines. On my setup, sea water is pumped into the exhaust hoses after going through a T section that diverts some percentage of the sea water off to a through hull on the port (and starboard) side. The through hull includes a valve that controls the volume of water diverted away from the exhaust pipes. These valves are half open and I've never touched them. What is their purpose and correct setting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Grand Banks Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Repair Questions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: