Grand Banks Discussion Forum Forum Index Grand Banks Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cat 3208 Coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Grand Banks Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Repair Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Olsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Cat 3208 Coolant Reply with quote

I intend to replace the coolant in both of my Cat 3208T engines before this year's winter lay-up. The current thinking is to use Cat's coolant (part #8C3684) mixed 50/50 with water. How many gallons of Cat coolant do I need per engine?

Bob Olsen
GB46-CL
Mike Negley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure about 15 gallons total per engine using 50% distilled water. If you use Cat's coolant it contains the necessary additives. Cat has two types; the standard and the extended life. If you use the extended life, be prepared for some leaks as the stuff is VERY slick. You will need to add additional additive over time and you can buy a kit to test the coolant additive.

[This message has been edited by Mike Negley (edited 10-04-04).]
samcoltwilson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommand the extended life. Its all premixed, requires no water and contains all the necessay additives for lubrication. I needed about 10 gallons for a 3208 N/A with a 15 gallon hot water tank. When you drain the old out be sure to drain both sides, expecially at the bottom of the oil cooler on the port side. Missed it one year.
GL
Sam
S&SColt45
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Grand Banks Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Repair Questions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: